Sunday, September 28, 2008

Discharge

I was officially discharged from physical therapy on Thursday. A relief and a bit unsettling. After 4 1/2 months, there is not much left for me to do. The staff at Athletico rocks and my PT was amazing! As my symptoms and ailments shifted, she worked with me to help understand the problem and in turn solve it.

Equal parts separation anxiety - it is amazing how doing PT creates the sense of a second home - relief of having my nights free again, and an uneasy of not knowing what to do next to bring closure to my bike accident, Kristen and I joined a new gym over the weekend. Mainly to help us shed the layer of film that has begun to encase our bodies.

Our current gym is good, but basic. Meanwhile, all my 'people' have been recommending alternative types of treatments such as swimming, yoga, pilates, etc. Well, our gym just doesn't have that. So, we joined the neighborhood athletic club. The facility is awesome! Beyond the full amenities, the membership is incredibly reasonable compared to other full-service health clubs and we really like the family atmosphere. They have a secure 'kids club' and allow kids in the lap pool. In fact, they even have dedicated family swim time!

I think Kristen summed it up best as she said being there "made her want to work out". After signing up, I immediately went for a quick swim. Well, it is safe to say my triathlon endurance is gone! But it felt great to swim and the back appreciated some low-impact exercise!

No comments: