Tuesday, September 2, 2008

In The Postal Service I Do Not Trust

Sifting through my mail that piled up while on my trip I came across a package from The Good Cook. A member of their book club, I have not made a purchase recently. However, I do get shipments occasionally when I fail to respond to the monthly selection in time.

Thinking this was another one of those occasions, I was about to 'sharpie' RETURN TO SENDER all over the shipping carton when I noticed the familiar yellow forward to sender sticker our friends at the United States Postal Service affixed on mail that needs to be forwarded.

Well, we've been living at this address for awhile so I was perplexed as to the address sticker. Besides the club has been sending me mail ever since the move.

Curious, I opened the package. In it were three cookbooks. The same cookbooks I had ordered from the club...back in early 2007! I opened the packing label for the invoice date - May 2007. Unbelievable! This package had been floating around the netherworld that is the USPS system for more than a year before it made it to my old address. Wow!

I do remember now having to contact the club as to the status of my shipment. They graciously sent the order a second time. Wanting to return the favor, I have contacted the club inquiring what they want me to do with the books. They do belong to the club and I already have them. Stay tuned...

The books, you ask? 400 Best Comfort Food Recipes, Luscious Berry Desserts, and 100 Great Lite Bites (no longer carried by the club). Interested in the club? It is definitely worth joining. The commitment is minimal and the books are much cheaper than the stores. Always has deals (2 for 1, buy 2 get a 3rd free, etc) too. I used the club to round out my library of cookbooks. Needed to offset titles such as How To Grill Animals Killed With Your Bare Hands and Properly Pairing Animal Flesh With Alcohol, A Culinary Adventure.

No comments: