Tuesday, September 9, 2008

New Volunteer Project

Tonight is the kick-off for my latest pro bono project. I volunteer for the Taproot Foundation. As an Account Director, I help select grants for non-profit organizations and then staff the project team for the specific grant and ensure a positive experience for all parties involved. Basically, I'm a seagull manager. Just kidding!

Proud of all my grants, I'm particularly excited about this one. The NP is the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation. The grant given will be to develop a brochure targeted at membership awareness to help improve the organization's membership retention rate. Should be fun.

For obvious reasons, I have a personal affinity for this grant. A bicyclist and recent crash victim, learning more about what the organization does to advocate bicycling (and safety!) and to help promote their cause was of particular interest for me.

Tonight is the kick-off for the project team I assembled. If I ever have a lack of surety, it is at this meeting. I meet face-to-face for the first time with the team I hand-picked based solely on their resume from the volunteer database and a single phone conversation. I'm always wary that I picked a bad team, but so far all my grants have been successful. Tonight I will find out if my personnel skills are still sharp.

No comments: