Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Impact Of Ike

Last time I was able to talk with my P's was at 7:30 this morning. Power is out. Cell phone service was spotty and is all but nonexistent now.

My dad said the winds were making the howling sound, which signals 80+ mph winds. That starts to break things...like trees.

I attempted - to no avail - to reach them throughout the day. Called my sister - lives in Big D - and she heard from them late tonight. They were lucky. No damage. However, neighbors around them did sustain direct hits from trees, flying debris, etc. Natural disasters have always intrigued me, especially the randomness of what is destroyed while what is spared.

Oh yeah, my dad commented that the swimming pool is now a mud pool. He takes great pride in keeping that pool clean, I'm sure he'll be at it first chance he gets to clean it up! Check this out - hurricane tip, to prevent flying patio furniture, drop it in the pool. Crazy, huh! Bet that works for tornadoes as well. Never heard that one before.

No comments: