Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Doral Experience

I lugged my sticks down to Miami determined to play at Doral and the Blue Monster. With my meetings complete, I moved over to Doral on Friday night in order to be ready for my 7am tee time on Saturday. Doral has four courses. I decided to play the much easier Red Course as a warm up. I haven’t played a round of golf since mid-July as part of my annual Crony Cup. I hit balls once last week just confirm I still knew how to hold the club. Well, to my pleasant surprise I shot 73 (par 70). Hit fairways, greens, and made some putts. Registered four birdies. Again, the course was easy and short (only 6300 yards), but I still played well.

Expecting a tougher challenge on the BM, I shot 75 (par 72). The course was in good shape, but I must admit it was not a tough course. I know the rough is at its thinnest in the summer heat, however I was in the fairway most of the day. Made four birdies again. The course gets its name from all the water on the course. I didn’t see it. Then again, I wasn’t looking. I was so focused on just making a good swing, all I saw was the fairway and then the green. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Probably should play that way more often! My back didn't act up either, but it has tightened up since finishing, as I'm still recovering from being t-boned by a car while riding my big wheel.

The staff at Doral was amazing. Owned by Marriott, whatever the training program is it works. From the registration desk and the bell hops to the maids and the grounds crew, everybody was courteous and friendly. First class. Definitely worth the trip. Oh yeah, the greens fees were reduced dramatically for the summer and then again for the Labor Day weekend so I stayed and played both rounds for the same price of what the BM typically costs!

No comments: