Saturday, August 30, 2008

Gustav Is No Friend Of Mine

As I write this post, I’m sitting in the refuge camp that is the Miami International Airport. At least I’m in the new terminal. The weather is ominous. Hurricane Gustav is cycloning through the Gulf on what is currently a direct course with New Orleans. Unfortunately, we know who wins a game of chicken with a hurricane.

I experienced what it is like to be affected by the hurricane. As the storm advances by spiraling along, I was repeatedly pelted with rain from its outer bands as it whipped across southern Florida. In fact, I could see it coming. Miles to the west, the wall of rain would grow darker as it grew close. The wind would appear and then grow stronger, then came the rain. In the same time it took to arrive, it would then disappear. An hour or so later, the same routine would repeat. I was rained on five times during my 36 holes today ( I played my rounds quickly!).

Arriving at the airport early clinging to the thin line of hope to secure an earlier seat, my hopes were quickly dashed as all flights are full. Miami’s airport is the jumping off point for all flights South American and by reading the faces of all the passengers looking to head south their concern and frustration was evident. They are going nowhere

Headed north, I’m not overly concerned. Then again, this is air travel, I am leaving from Miami, and bad weather blankets the region.

No comments: