Thursday, August 14, 2008

Anniversary Pressure

This Sunday, er, Saturday, is my 5th anniversary. Being married to Kristen, that is. I guess it is her anniversary as well. In total, we've been together for eight. Still don't, and probably never will, understand why I don't get credit for the other three.

Anyway. I've been told the proper gift for the 5th is wood. I'm suppose to give my wife the gift of wood. I'm speechless. Really.

No, I'm not! The gift of wood. From my perspective that is a perpetual gift! Hope my parents don't read this.

I've been thinking what would be an appropriate gift of wood (I'm chuckling). I think back to my childhood days of flying balsa wood planes. Nope, don't think that will do it. Perhaps I could do a wood carving? Would show my creativity, knife wielding skills, and commitment to building something with my hands. Great idea, but I have two days, no wood whittling skills (or tools), and what the hell would I make anyway!

Luckily, I'm off the hook. We recently bought an entertainment center. A nice piece, I must say, and it is made of solid, real wood! Kristen suggested this should be our gift to each other. Oh yeah! I'm in on that one. Of course, I had to play it coy to uncover if it was a test and she actually expected a gift. She says no. That is why I love her so.

That is not to say, come the day of our anniversary and after a night of nice food and drink she still might receive the gift of wood. Again, I apologize. Mom. Dad.

4 comments:

The Mom of 'em said...

get her a gift anyway!!!!

Ms. Mayhem said...

I would suggest two potential gifts...a beautiful wood cutting board (Mitch's parents presented us with one) or a tree that you can watch grow over the next 50 years...And even if you move it will always be "your" tree and will be so fun to see it grow and change. Just say'n..."get her a gift anyway!!!!"

Ms. Mayhem said...

And good lord, PJ I am glad you apologized to your parents at the end of this post...you nut!

Jenn said...

Even though we've only had one wedding anniversary, my husband asked if he could skip paper and just give me "wood" for the anniversary ;)

Have a good celebration!