Friday, August 15, 2008

How Time Goes By

Last night I participated in a 5k run called Race Judicata. The Race Judicata is a 5K Run/Walk, benefiting Chicago Volunteer Legal Services Foundation in our mission to ensure that the law works for everyone. My law firm is a primary sponsor of the event and I thought it would be fun to run in an event somewhat competitive. And the fact I might be able to meet some new people (I've only been at the firm for 1 1/2 years and we have 10,000 employees).

I quickly realized that I had not run in a race in almost five years! The last competitive race was the Chicago Triathlon. I was shocked how long it had been! I can trace it back to when we moved to the suburbs. Followed by knee surgery last year and the accident this year, time has escaped me.

Not from this race, but rather my last triathlon is this picture. Kristen insists pictures are needed in my blog posts, thus the photo!

This was going to be a good test for me. First, I hate running. The only reason I ever ran was because it is part of a triathlon. Second, I had run maybe, maybe, five times this summer. And that was usually 1 mile to, 1 mile from the physical therapy office.

I set a modest goal of 25 minutes.

Last night could not have been better. The weather was awesome - cool, but warm, low humidity - and we ran along the lakefront. Always great views. In the end, I missed by goal with a run time of 25:25. Oh well!

Like most of my events, I always seem to leave a little something in the tank that should have been used up. I had a little left, but not much. The legs were heavy, my back was tightening, and the right hip was getting sloppy from fatigue so I don't think I could have squeezed much more out. Maybe enough to reach my goal, but not much more.

The post race was a blast. Kudos to law firms. They know how to run an event. Each tent was loaded with food and the beer tent was stocked with Goose Island. Double-fisting was encouraged. I had Jimmy John's, Krispy Kremes, beer, cookies, bananas, etc. So much for all those calories I burned during the race!

1 comment:

Ms. Mayhem said...

I agree. Photos required.