Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Breaking The Knee

Gilbert continues to show virtually no signs of wanting to go mobile. From watching other kids crawl or walk, I noticed the catalyst is the bent knee.

When he actually stays on his belly, the knees rarely bend nor does he make any attempt to slide the knee under his pelvis, the key to getting his butt up and crawling!

At Gymboree it is getting kind of embarrassing. Granted some of the kids crawl and others do not, but at least they will stay on their bellies, push up with their arms and attempt to crawl. All the kids are put in close proximity so they can see each other and interact and they enjoy it. But not the Little Man! He cries, er, whines, when we put him on his belly and because he rolls over immediately, Gilbert inevitably rolls into or on to the other kids attempting to get on to his back. We have to sweep in and pick him up to prevent a meltdown due to being stuck. I think the parents look at us like, "Who is this kid?", but I could be just paranoid.

It is no better for standing, granted that usually comes after crawling, but he will at least stay in a standing position. When standing, Gilbert locks his knees out. I do attempt to 'walk' him around, but he stays on his toes and keeps the legs locked.

To help him along, and maybe nothing more than to appease me, I've been attempting to bend his knees when standing. I'll hold him by one hand and use my other to 'break his knee'. He thinks it is a game. The more I attempt to push his knee in from the backside, the more he giggles. And of course, once I'm successful to put a little bend in his knee, Gilbert just collapses, laughs and smiles. Strange kid!

I know he'll begin to make his movements once he is ready and not a minute sooner. But Little Man, how about a sign! Throw your Dad a bone!

1 comment:

The Mom of 'em said...

he sat up like a pro WAY before my little guy did...and mine's older. He's just taking his time and I absolutely can't wait to read your posts once he starts moving around.....because it certainly turns life upside down then. He'll get there.