Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Joys of Snot

Yep, Gil has his first cold. He can thank Dad for that gift! Every damn year I get a cold, flu, or some sort of 'crud' when the seasons finally shift from warm to cold. Well, for me it arrived earlier in the week.

My typical defense is to flush my system with TheraFlu. I'm addicted to it. Liquid gold, I say. Well, despite my best efforts to self-medicate and limit my exposure to Gil (good luck with that!), he caught my cold late in the week. Poor little guy!

You should see the snot fly out his nose when he sneezes. Holy cow, Batman! The aspirator has become my best friend. I get the duty since I gave him the cold, my wife says. He'll tolerate one pull from each nostril, but go in a second time and he lets you know his position on being violated.


Sidetrack...I know my posts have described all the daily challenges we are facing as new P's, but I must admit parenting has been easy...so far.

Gil sleeps like a champ between feedings, basically is on a schedule which makes life convenient for Kristen, and is a treat to play with when I get home from work. He's rarely fussy, loves bath time (especially when you pour warm water over his head), and makes the best little smiles as he begins to drift to sleep. I'm getting goosebumps as I write this now.


Back to the story...


After a trip to Walgreens for a vaporizer, he seems to be clearing up. Of course, I was excited to buy a 'vaporizer' thinking it was some sort of space aged weapon that was used by Wiley E. Coyote in his fruitless attempts to get the Road Runner. So you can imagine my disappoint when I opened the box to find what looks like a damn humidifier!

But the real disappoint was missing Turkey Bash. For the unwashed masses, Turkey Bash is an incredible tradition (13 years? running) where good friends get together and celebrate with a Thanksgiving dinner. The best part is the night before when the 'guys' get together drink beverages, go bowling, and make the midnight run to the grocery store for supplies. We prepare the turkey and then the ladies arrive (now with kids in tow) with a side dish and we spend the day enjoying each others company. It pained me to miss the Friday festivities. Literally, I felt pain. First time I've been absent or not woken up with a hangover on the Saturday before Thanksgiving in nine years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did miss you yesterday! The place was overrun with kiddos. Hope you and Gil feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

I laughed quite hard at your vaporizer comments! Nurse that baby back to health. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.