Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Another First

Tuesday was a day of 'firsts'. Besides the haircut, Kristen called me at work to announce Gilbert had sat up in his crib during nap time. She came in to find him reading, er, playing with books he had pulled from the adjacent shelf.

Refusing to believe he had mastered the skill (which meant I'd have to lower his bed!), I brushed it off as a fluke. The reasoning? Gilbert doesn't crawl, he scoots, so even when out of his crib, he's been unable to sit up from a prone position. Granted, I have been working with him to learn how to sit up, but up til yesterday, only limited progress had been logged.

Well, last night I was on Gilbert patrol while Kristen was at the gym. For some reason, he cried when I put him to sleep. Battling the remnants of a cold and new teeth, I thought it was just SOP.

Watching through the monitor as he flayed around I witnessed him sit up from laying down. Too hard to describe the contortions he had to go through to achieve a sitting up position, my thought was, "Crap, I do have to lower the bed!"

The real fun was watching him as he was sitting up realizing it was pitch black in his room and wondering what to do. He located his favorite blanket, curled up in to a ball and feel asleep sitting up hunched over. It hours later when he unrolled and remained asleep on his back. I only wish the monitor had a record function. Truly fun to watch!

No comments: