Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Long Drive

Yesterday was the final round of golf in preparation for my Crony Cup. The Crony consists of 12 guys who participate in a Ryder Cup-style tournament. Getting ready for the Crony has been difficult this year given my bike accident. However, the past few weeks away from work has helped!

I've attempted to play courses similar to the Crony course and in continuing with this preparation I went to Cog Hill. As a single or 'walk-on', I play roulette as to who I will be paired with for my round. I can play golf with all levels and still have fun, but it is nice to be paired with golfers of the same caliber.

I was in for a treat this time! I was paired with Sean "The Beast" Fister and his agent Stacey. The Beast is a 3x long drive world champ and is in the LDA Hall of Fame. The first hole was 325+ yards and he drove the green and sank his putt for eagle. This was going to be fun!

After a few holes and they realized I was a decent golfer the round became quite fun with a lot of conversation and storytelling. Well, I asked questions and then just listened. Turns out Stacey, the agent, used to be a guitarist for David Bowie back in the wild days. Good stories, wish I could have heard more.

The Beast was in town to do a show for the Speed Network. Eight long drive guys were paired up with eight drivers from NASCAR for a long drive competition. Filming takes today and the show will be aired over six weeks in September. They offered to get me tickets - most appreciated! - but I head out to Indy for the Crony.

Both were great guys and it was fun round. Shot 77, not bad in my own right. I did notice a few times I attempted to clobber my driver in attempt to keep up, show off, or whatever. Some results were good, some not so!

No comments: