Monday, July 7, 2008

Gilbert's First Visit To the Library

I have been quite delinquent in obtaining a library card. On my to-do list during my vacation, I set out this morning with Gilbert to accomplish the task. Also, Kristen and I wanted to learn of any children's programs or readings that Gilbert can attend.

Utilizing public transportation, we rode the 'L' around the loop to the main branch of the Chicago Public Library. Luckily, and without and prior planning on my part, each stop had elevators. Not all stops have accessibility and had either stop not had elevators we would have had to get back on the CTA and go to another stop. Whew!

I must admit not allowing strollers on escalators is a pain in the butt! In the library, I had to find the elevators to get to where we needed to go. Also, people can be rude about elevators. Young people not acquiescing to their elders, people with wheelchairs or dad's with strollers!

In the line with application in hand for my new card, Gilbert decided to start squawking. And loud! A few friendly looks from library staff and I realized my faux pau. Quickly, I inserted pacifier into child and quiet was restored!

Obtaining a library card was incredibly simple and swift. Afterwards we went into the children's library so I could reconnoiter the surroundings. I found the toddler section and we took a few minutes to read some books. Gilbert loved it. He quickly assumed the reading position - in my lap reclined against my chest - and waited patiently to be read to. With the library's schedule in hand, it was back on the 'L' for a quick ride home!

No comments: