Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dog Days

I have a fantastic commute to work. 20 minute walk. Pretty sweet, I must admit.

One drawback. With the dog days of summer upon us, the walk results in a very warm PJ by the time I get to the office or return home. The walk is just long enough to get my body warmed up and the first signs of sweat appear on the brow and neck and cuff line of my shirt. Thankfully, I don't wear suit and tie anymore otherwise it would be miserable. Last Friday, I was decked out and when I got home my dress shirt was a wrinkled mess. I always laugh at the jokers on the 'L' with sweat spots showing through their work clothes and the guys who have to slip into the monkey suit everyday.

Some days to avoid being the 'sweaty guy', I have to be creative on my commute. And I have fun doing it. On the days when the sun is blaring (I walk into the sun to/from work), I'll attempt to walk to work only in the shadows of the buildings.

Just picture all the morning commuters with their cups of coffee, ears plugged with noise emanating from their ipod or phone all serious about their trek to work walking the most direct, efficient route to their job. Then there is that guy, meandering down the street zigzagging through the shadows. If you can't have a little fun on your way to work, what's the point. Besides, I'm a big believer in making your own fun!

No comments: