Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day...To Me!

And to all the other dads out there. Both new and veterans. Today is my first Father's Day. A day finally dedicated to PJ to allow me to do as I please. How cool!

And a good day it was. The weather was poor when we woke up - we brought Gilbert into our bedroom for some morning playing - and watched the storm front roll in. Gilbert seemed to enjoy watching as well. Or at least staring at the trees across the street get whipped back and forth by the wind.

No sooner did the storm unleash its rain and wind did it dissipate out over Lake Michigan so I set out on my original plan for the day; some PJ time at Harborside International for range practice. I've mentioned before the excellent facilities at Harborside and it has become part of my Sunday routine. As much for pleasure as for therapy to restore my strength and flexibility lost from the bike accident.

The course is a popular destination for city-folk - the best, and closest, fee-based course around the City. An interesting observation was the clientele today. No women. And all the foursomes were dads and sons. Very cool. Found myself looking forward to playing golf with Gilbert!

Back at home, we lounged, played, and watched the final round of the US Open. Turned out to be a great final round as Tiger miraculously sank a birdie putt to force a playoff on Monday.

The weather was still beautiful so we embarked on the second request I had for Father's Day and that was dining al fresco. A new Italian restaurant opened - Trattoria Isabella - recently just a few blocks away and we have wanted to sample their fare. The restaurant is in a nondescript office building and on first glance you would not know the establishment existed. The owners must have known this too and smartly built an expansive outdoor seating area equipped with a permanent, covered bar. In fact, they closed the inside portion and exclusively served outside. Smart move!

Jonesing for a 'sweet', Kristen was so Baskin-Robbins satisfied her craving as we continued to enjoy the day with a walk around the neighborhood. The employee working wished me a "Happy Father's Day". I was taken back at first not realizing he was talking to me. It was a mental check as if to say, "Yeah. That's me. A father!"


A new high-rise development is near completion only two blocks away and with it was a promise to build a park. I've been monitoring progress intently as it will give Gilbert quick access to a park. It is close to completion. The equipment is installed as well as the concrete paths been laid. Now the crew is installing the rubber asphalt ground around the equipment. This is only part of a larger park that has been graded and now awaits seeding for grass. Should be nice once complete!

Back at home, we watched the outcome of the golf tournament and begun preparations for back to normal Monday.

Oh yeah, Kristen and Gilbert gave me a fantastic gift - a Bulova watch - for Father's Day. Definitely a surprise.

I must say Father's Day has its privileges!

1 comment:

The Mom of 'em said...

Glad you had a great day! I won't let my husband read this though - I bought him the Citizen's watch....not as nice as the Bulova's. =-) Also funny - he wore the same shorts as you yesterday.