Monday, April 7, 2008

Connecting With My Food

Well, today is a watershed day. I placed an order purchasing a cow directly from the farm. Part of a cartel (five carnivore-friends!), we pooled to purchase a 1/4 of a cow, from this point on will now be called Delicious.

Delicious should be ready in early June and I'm already drooling in anticipation. As the leader of this folly, I got to talk with the farmer, learn about the process, do research on all the different cuts of meat, understand the best combination of cut thickness for each and ultimately decide how Delicious gets sliced up. Ooohhh, the power!

If you remember from my earlier posts, I've been wanting to improve the food chain I devourer and one way was to buy locally direct from the farm. So, as this process unfolds, I'll be sharing my experiences. Who knows, with 25-30 pounds of red meat that will reside in my freezer, there might be a 'meat party' on the horizon!

No comments: