Thursday, April 24, 2008

Bike vs. Car. I lose.

First, I'm okay. Quite sore and stiff with some bumps and scraps, but otherwise okay. Nothing is broken, but my bike is shredded.

I went out for a lakefront ride - quite a lovely evening - and was finished heading home. In fact I was about 100 feet from the condo when - BAM! - it happened. I caught the blue of a car out of the corner of my right eye as the car was turning left. Coming out of a parking garage - the wrong way, I might add - he never saw me, nor did I see him.

I had about a second to react, clamped on the breaks, but he was accelerating so my bike crumpled into his front fender and I learned how to fly - for a few seconds, anyway. My forearm hit the other side of the hood and I rolled over landing on my head - thank you helmet! - and then on to my shoulder and arm.

A bit dazed at first realizing what had just happened, I seemed to be okay. A few bystanders rush over and everyone seemed intent on getting me to my feet. That was the last place I was going and told them to let me just sit for a bit. My right forearm had already swelled and was going numb and tingling. ER doc said later I bruised the Ulna nerve thus the sensation.

I'll give credit to the driver, he was a stand up guy. Did everything by the book. Then again, the whole accident would have been avoided if he had not exited the parking garage through the Enter Only entrance! We called 911 and was greeted by EMT, Chicago Police, and the Chicago Fire Department. Sirens blaring of, course. Great response time from all parties.

Paperwork completed, everyone having gone back their stations, I cleaned up and caught a cab over to the ER room at Northwestern where after 2 1/2 hours I was sent home. Didn't even get x-rays.

I was 100 feet from the condo entrance door when this all happened. 100 feet. Being so close I called Kristen while I was waiting for the EMT's to let her know what had happened. She came down with Gilbert and thankfully brought me a sweatshirt. I was getting cold.

So, here we are a day later. I am definitely stiff from the neck through the back and down my right arm. Right hip is sore as well. Dealing with insurance now. At least I should get a new bike out of this. Need to send a letter to the helmet manufacturer with a big Thumbs Up for making great products.

Oh yeah, flying is overrated unless you can learn how to land safely.

1 comment:

Ms. Mayhem said...

Wow...glad you are okay. Same thing happened to me back in the 80's I think I was 12???? No helmet, explains alot. Hugs to all. ckm.