Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Greatest Discovery

Other people's stuff. Gilbert has discovered it. His eyes and brain are in simpatico and what he sees is what he wants. He really hasn't exhibited this behavior in front of me (then again I see him briefly in the mornings and evenings when full faculties sometimes wane).

However, it came to light these two days when I stayed at home with him. First it was his bottle. He would see the bottle come out of the fridge to be warmed up. He has recognized what is taking place and that the routine was a precursor to being fed. Yesterday he stepped it up a notch. When I picked up the bottle, he literally jumped out of my arm with both hands to grab the bottle. He planted a firm grasp on the nipple and pulled the bottle to his lips. I was conflicted between laughing and the fear of almost dropping him by being caught off guard from his sudden movement.

Then, he started reaching for my bottle, er, glass. At first it was about the touch. I think he likes the coolness of glass. Then it was all about wrapping his mouth on the lip of the glass. It got so bad, that the minute I'd pick up the glass for a drink he'd outstretched both arms in my direction as if signaling, "MEEEE!". I can only imagine the words that will accompany such demands! Not to mention the presence of drool down the side of the glass!

In just two short days, this discovery is exploring new territories. The shiny wrapper that houses my granola bar is now of interest. My cell phone. Soooo glad I saved my old phone for him to play with. Oh yeah, did I mention the camera. I have about 20 photos of him reaching for it. Who knows what is next! He grabs my Livestrong bracelet, but I think that is more luck than skill! Cant' wait for him to get a full clutch of Kristen's hair!

No comments: