Sunday, September 2, 2007

What's a Babymoon?

Babymoon. Another day, er event, cooked up from your friends at Hallmark. Ranks right up there with Sweetest Day! A few months ago Kristen mentioned how we needed to begin planning 'our Babymoon'. "Baby what?" was my response. I had to look it up.

Here's the scoop...

It's a new trend, common among first-time-parents-to-be, who see it as one of the last vacations they'll take before "baby makes three." Originally, the term "babymoon," was coined by British author and childbirth educator Sheila Kitzinger, who defines it as the important time a family spends together alone during a baby's first few days of life.

However, the travel industry saw it as an opportunity to make a buck, and turned a sincere idea into a cottage industry. With more than 6 million births annually in the United States, money is to be made!

Nowadays, you can find 'babymoon packages' at your more posh hotels, spas, and resorts where staff pampers the soon-to-be parents with love and care. Well, I did some research into these packages, didn't see much pampering for the guy; manicures, pedicures, massages, facials, and bed in breakfast. You want to pamper to me? Get me a round of golf on a course I can't get on. With a caddie. And a playing partner named Tiger Woods. Facials? C'mon!

So, the planning started for our babymoon. I went to Google and typed in 'babymoon Chicago'. There's a freakin' website called babymoonfinder.com. No shit! You can search babymoon events, packages, deals, etc. by state. I quickly abandoned my search.

Instead we settled on a nice weekend in the city. Cell phones off. Computer off. Television off! And we had a wonderful time. Read about it in another post.

No comments: