Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Time in NYC

I am in the Big Apple for work this week. A last minute trip, but welcomed. Besides having my flight cancelled at 6am, so far so good. I was never a big fan of NYC, but have learned to appreciate the city over time.

Walking from the office to my hotel, I pass by Rockefeller Plaza and Radio City Music Hall. The area was abuzz with people taking pictures, shopping and sightseeing. The swarm of people is so huge, the police are in riot patrol the entire day.

Demonstrating my ignorance, I was cut off from crossing the street by a cop as he roped off the walkway. Noticing the street was completely lined with barricades (as if a parade was coming through), I ask what the special occasion was. He looked at me with incredulity. Asked where I was from and said, "Hello, look up. This is Radio City Music Hall. It gets 3-4 thousand people a day." I was flabbergasted. He then added, "The ropes and barricades are to keep the sheep (us people) organized." I recovered from the insult and said, "Must be New Yorkers. Chicagoans are more orderly!"

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Merry Merry Christmas!

Sarah said...

Hope you guys have a great holiday!

Ms. Mayhem said...

Little Man, where are you? It's almost February...we need a post1

Sarah said...

Where are you guys---miss you!